Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Halloween is in the air!

Labor Day weekend is always the opening of the Halloween season for me. Granted, I've been devouring any and all fall catalogs that land in my mailbox and I've been shopping online (which I'll be writing about later) and jotting down ideas all summer, but I don't actually start any project until Labor Day weekend. Except this Labor Day weekend, that it. The weather was cool and rainy, which I love, but didn't allow me to work on projects outside like I had hoped.

Since I was stuck in the house, I ventured downstairs (where there are real-life spiders! EEK!) and began sorting boxes of indoor decorations. I took inventory and set aside those items that needed some repair or re-working. Of course, the cats had to inspect what I was doing.






I also decided to make some Halloween jewelry for myself this year. I've been having too much fun shopping on Etsy for supplies. Recently, I bought some amazing lampwork beads from Glasstastic Treasures. Not only is the craftsmanship amazing, but the artist, Jamie, is very sweet and personable.
I love these beads so much. I must have taken them out a dozen times only to put them away because I wasn't sure what to do with them. I finally decided that simple is better since I really wanted to showcase the beads. This is what I made with her amazing beads:

"Boil, boil, toil & trouble..."
Witch's cauldron bead on sterling silver chain accented with peridot and black glass beads.


"Eye See You"
Eyeball beads with red glass briolettes and blue Swarovski crystals.


"Like my manicure?"
Monster fingers on hand-formed ear wires.


I also made this cute little pendant from a witchy pin-up image on Shrinky-Dinks. Remember those? I've been having so much fun with them lately!

"If the broom fits..."
Shrinky-Dink pendant with citrine drop and black glass.


And finally, I made this pendant, which prompted my husband to call me a "spider hypocrite."

"Caught in a Web"
Fire agate and pewter spider charm.


The weeks ahead will be busy getting ready for October. I don't have many big projects planned, but I have many small ideas swimming around in my head. I just hope I have time for it all!

Happy haunting!




© 2008 Haunted Yard

1 comment:

Dzign by Jamie said...

How wonderful! I love the items you've made with my little beadies!! Thank you for the great compliments. HUGS!!